What is the difference between Practice and Real Money trading modes?

When you are in Real Money mode you are trading with real money and you should be aware of the risks involved. Everything else is absolutely the same.

Why there are no longer separate Practice and Real account types?

We removed the hassle involved with managing separate Practice and Real accounts by merging them into a single one. Now you can simply use one account which supports both Practice and Real Money modes and you can switch back and forth any time.

Important details about the changes regarding existing users:
  • The changes were done on 18.11.2017.
  • Practice and Real accounts sharing the same email address were merged into a single account.
  • If your accounts were merged, you must log in using the password from your Real account.
  • The current state and the history of all merged accounts is preserved.

What currencies do you accept?

With Trading 212 you can open a Real Account in GBP, EUR and USD. We accept debit/credit card and bank payments in these currencies.

Is it safe to send you money?

Yes, it is completely safe. We are a licensed and regulated broker and keep all clients’ money in a segregated bank account. Moreover, all clients’ money is covered by a compensation scheme in accordance with our regulator.

Why do you need a copy of my ID card?

As a licensed FOREX broker we are obliged to identify every client by his or her ID card. It is also for your own security to have proper identification.

Is it safe to send you a copy of my ID card?

We are a licensed controller of personal data. All information you provide to us is kept confidential and is used only for identification purposes.

What is a Tax Identification Number (TIN) and where to find it?

A Tax Identification Number (TIN) is an identification number used for tax purposes.

In some countries, TINs are indicated on official identity documents (such as ID cards, passports, driving licenses, etc.) and usually match the personal number.

Example: Spain (DNI); The Netherlands (Burgerservicenummer/BSN); Norway (Fødselsnummer or D-nummer); Sweden (Personnummer); Poland (PESEL); Czech Republic (Rodné číslo); Romania (Cod Numeric Personal); Serbia (JMBG); Russia (ИНН); China (公民身份号码).

In other countries, TINs are specially issued by government institutions to those who submit a tax return form. In this case, TINs are specified on other documents (such as health insurance cards, civil tax evaluation forms, etc.)

Example: UK (National Insurance Number); Italy (Codice fiscale); France (Numéro fiscal); Germany (Steuernummer).

Some countries do not issue taxpayers with tax identification numbers. Their tax authorities use other data to identify taxpayers (such as name, date and place of birth, address, gender, etc.).

What is W-8BEN Form?

W-8BEN Form is a US tax form the primary purpose of which is to indicate that a foreign investor isn't subject to standard taxation practices. All Non US Persons are subject to US tax on income they receive from US sources (such as dividends on US equities) and need to utilize a W-8BEN Form.

Ireland, the United Kingdom and most other EU countries are among the countries that have a double taxation treaty with the US. (Full list is available here). To benefit from this reduced rate one must complete the W-8BEN Form. It is also used to indicate the country you live in and to confirm you are not resident in the United States.

How to provide a W-8BEN Form?

This can be completed in 3 easy steps:

  1. Print the W-8BEN Form from the IRS website here.
  2. Fill in the required information.
  3. Send a picture of it or a scanned copy directly through your Trading 212 account or by email to info@trading212.com.

What is a Rights issue?

Companies use rights issues to raise capital for different purposes: to pay off debts or to fund acquisitions and growth strategies. A rights issue is an invitation to existing shareholders to purchase additional shares in the company at a discounted market price.

Shareholders receive a number of rights, and because they already hold company shares, they receive such rights free of charge. The shareholders can then decide whether to exercise their rights and increase their shareholding or not. If they do exercise them that means shareholder will buy more shares in the company but at the reduced price and with no brokerage fees. If they are not willing to exercise their rights they can trade them on the market.

Investors who are not currently shareholders will be able to buy such rights on the market.

What is the minimum and maximum account size?

The minimum account size is EUR 100. There is no limit for maximum deposits.

Can I change the currency of my Real account?

To do that, you should open a new account in the desired currency and we will exchange and transfer your funds. To do that, please contact our Customer Support team using the Chat button.

Can I continue trading if I have lost all the money in my Practice Account?

Yes, you can have a fresh start by resetting your Practice Account from the “Settings” menu.

Do you have many clients?

Yes, we are a fast growing international broker and thousands of new clients join us every month.

Don't have an account yet?

Trading may not be suitable for everyone and can result in the loss of all your invested capital.

Chat with us
Investments can fall and rise. You may get back less than you invest. CFDs are higher risk because of leverage. Be sure you understand the risks.
Risk warning
Investments can fall and rise. You may get back less than you invest. CFDs are higher risk because of leverage. Be sure you understand the risks.